Beginning in September, I’m offering small-group writing courses! Writing expectations can be some of the biggest challenges as students advance through middle school and high school. One problem is that students are often shown examples and asked questions, but never given step-by-step coaching to execute it themselves. Imagine sending your child to a baseball practice where the coach had the team watch a World Series game and then said, “OK, now do that. Remember, your job is to score more runs than the other team. Your game is on Friday.” Ridiculous, right?
I teach writing using the Self-Regulated Strategy Development approach (SRSD), which is a process of teaching students a variety of structures for different types of writing, then walking them through those structures with increasing independence until they can select, plan and execute that writing on their own. I focus on writing at the paragraph level because even a 300-page book is just a series of paragraphs. Paragraphs are the building blocks of good writing.
Here’s how the small groups will work
- Six-week sessions, with the first beginning after Labor Day.
- 3-5 students in grades 6-10, grouped by grade level.
- Ten 45-minute class meetings and two 20-minute individual conferences
- Written feedback on submitted drafts
- Homework will include reading and annotating short texts and/or completing graphic organizers and writing drafts.
- One meeting will include peer editing
- Schedule – TBD
- The platform for the class will be Google Classroom and Google Docs. Students need a personal (non-school) Google account to participate.
- Cost: $175 for the session plus a materials fee of $15, with a binder of materials mailed to you before the course begins.
- PLEASE NOTE: These groups will run only if a minimum of three students enroll for a particular grade level. I may group students in a two-year grade span if appropriate. (e.g. 6th and 7th graders in one group)
If you are interested, please complete the form below. I will be sending out additional information in August about the first session. If you have questions, you can always reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-318-8867.